A new set from LEGO Education, is available for pre-order.
It calls "Mechanisms Pneumatics Add-on Set" (W979641) and it is great news because it not only confirms what LEGO said before , that LAs are not intended to replace the pneumatic cylinders, but they even invested on further developing the pneumatics with new parts and colors.
Below the images from some models/activities proposed on the set activity pack. This however an ad-on set with 31 parts, which requires the "Mechanisms Set" (W979632) to build all the models proposed.
The set includes a lot of new and specialized pneumatic parts, like:
- One manometer which is a totally brand new part. Not very useful for regular constructions, but of great utility for educational purposes.
- One air tank, this time in a new color (white). So air tanks are back which hopefully will make their price decrease at markets like BrickLink.
- One large pneumatic pump, also into a new color (trans- medium blue as it seems to be).
- Two large pneumatic cylinders in the same new color.
- One small pneumatic cylinder also in the same new color.
But if you look into the picture of the box, it looks we get also a transparent small size pneumatic pump.
- Three pneumatic valves.
- Nice colored pneumatic hoses.
- And several other parts...
The transparent colors on the pneumatics are very nice, but mainly they are very adequate for educational purposes also.
Target price is $55,00 in US and is now available for pre-order.
Most likely and as usual it will not be so easy to buy in Europe, as these sets do not use to be available to purchase online, in this region of the world.
Below, the original text that describes the product online,
"The Mechanisms Pneumatics Add-On Set is part of a complete package. Combining the set with the Motorized Mechanisms Set and Mechanisms Activity Pack enables you to carry out engaging cross-curricular activities. Your students will explore power systems and components, sequence and control, pressure, prototyping, kinetic and potential energy, and much more. The set and corresponding Mechanisms Pneumatics Activity Pack feature 14 principle model activities that introduce students to the basics of pneumatics. In addition, four main models and activities and two additional open-ended problem-solving activities thoroughly educate students about pneumatics. The set features 31 specialty elements, including pumps, cylinders, valves, an air tank, tubes, and a manometer."
Thanks for the tip, Mike (Parax)!