NXT 2.0 is now also listed at LEGO.com and available for pre-ordering in US and some other countries worldwide.
You may find it through product webpage from Shop@Home.
Set Number: 8547
Estimated retail price: 279,99 US$ / 289,00-324,99€ (refer to S@H, for specific country price)
Product description from S@H:
The “NXT” generation of buildable, programmable robots is here!LEGO® MINDSTORMS® NXT is back and better than ever, with new robot models, even more customizable programming, and all-new technology including a color sensor! MINDSTORMS NXT 2.0 combines the unlimited versatility of the LEGO building system with an intelligent microcomputer brick and intuitive drag-and-drop programming software. The new 2.0 toolkit features everything you need to create your first robot in 30 minutes and then tens of thousands of other robotic inventions that do what you want!
Key elements and features:
- The intelligent NXT LEGO brick features 32-bit microprocessor, a large matrix display, 4 input and 3 output ports, and Bluetooth and USB communication link
- Three interactive servo motors
- Four sensors: Ultrasonic Sensor, 2 Touch Sensors and the all-new Color Sensor
- Color Sensor has triple functionality: distinguishes colors and light settings, and functions as a lamp
- Easy-to-use software (PC and Mac) with icon-based drag-and-drop programming and 16 fun building and programming challenges
- All the LEGO® elements (612 pcs) you need for creating incredible robots
- Building instructions for 4 new amazing robots
- Personalize your robots with the Sound and Icon editors
- Share your project files with your friends with the Pack-N-Go project packager
- Batteries not include
And a very nice video shown at Toys "R" Us Direct YouTube Channel, featuring many of the new interesting features, parts, NXT-G software and robots.
The new kit features the same programmable NXT brick, but includes new SW with very interesting new functionalities, and a new generation of a light/color sensor. Also the previous sound sensor was replaced by a 2nd touch sensor.
From the software point of view, we get new features like:
- Remote control from the PC (either via USB or bluetooth, depending on how do you connect).
- Capture a create custom sounds, that can be immediately uploaded into NXT for your application use.
- Create, manipulate and upload your own images to create new custom icons for the NXT display.
- Package all files needed by your application, to easier share them with your friends (Pack-N-Go).
- Color sensor mode, which can distinguish six different colors with the standard SW: black, white, red, green, blue and yellow.
- Light sensor mode as ind the old NXT 1.0 sensor, which returns a value from 0 to 100 where 0 the darkest and 100 the brightest. In this mode you can choose the colored LED to use (red, green or blue).
- Lamp mode, where you can also set the colored LED to use (red, green or blue).
It also features a new part assortment, adapted for the new Alpha Rex design and a new set of proposed alternate robots.
Below images from a few of these newly proposed robots which look much more appealing, than those in previous kit IMO.
Also at the image below you can take a closer look to the parts included with NXT 2.0 Kit.
At the image close-ups that TLG chose to promote the product in their website, we may find some nice examples of the design refinements applied into NXT 2.0 robots.
Like new "hands" to grab objects (despite not truly/fully functional or controllable) and the application of touch sensors into Alpha Rex feet, to detect and maximize the step length as the walk experience turns smoother and more effective.
There is also a 360 degree 3D model from Alpha Rex to explore, where you may find some more details by your own.
It looks to me, that the model is again not prepared to take the NXT battery, without modifications...