Many of you should remember about the hype  we observed about one year ago, when the images from the 8259 Mini-Bulldozer first appeared.
Since then, I had the idea to repeat it in a planned manner. So, I made a proposal which was very well received and this year, with the sponsorship from the LEGO Technic team, we decided to launch a challenge based on the same idea.
For an "official" (or should I say "sponsored") challenge, we are restricted to release models that do not include new parts. The only 1H2010 small model fitting this criteria is the 8046 (helicopter).
So the challenge TBs has for you, is exactly that!
Reverse and build your own LDraw reproduction from the 8046 main model.
Even so, it does include some other parts not new, but still recent ones and not yet available from LDraw official library. Some were already added to the LDraw Parts Tracker (repository of not yet official parts submitted to LDraw Part Library) and some others were not.
Luckily we got the precious collaboration from Philo, who have designed those missing parts for us and which he made extremely fast and very well done as usual. Thanks Philippe!
So, in case you miss some required parts in your MLCad program or similar, we advise you to look for them into the Parts Tracker list. There you will find for instance:
- The hook (30395, x154) [PT, BL]
- Technic, Panel Fairing # 5 Long Smooth, Side A (64681) [PT, BL]
- Technic, Panel Fairing # 6 Long Smooth, Side B (64393) [PT, BL]
- Plate, Modified 2 x 16 with Angled Side Extensions and Hole - Rotor Blade (62743) [PT, BL]
Don't forget to download also the correspondent required subparts, or to make it easier if you prefer, to download and install the entire Unofficial Part Files at once.
In case you have difficulties with the LDraw unofficial parts and need further help about this, you may find handy some of the recently tutorials here published at TBs [2, 3].
As in every contest, there might be some rules defined, that will help us also later, do determine who's the winner contestant.
- Reverse engineer and reproduce in LDraw format, the challenge proposed model.
- The reproduction should be exact (form, color, part list and type of parts used).
Challenge Participation Rules:
- Every contestant should submit their participation in the form of one LDraw file.
- Each submission must include one single model only.
- Contestants should also include one render image from their model, with a minimum resolution of 800x600.
- The contestants are allowed to submit two individual participations maximum.
- The flexible parts in the model should be reproduced accordingly. Reproduction should be as close as possible to the original.
- All the submissions must be sent by e-mail, to the TBs mailbox setup for the purpose of this challenge, with indication of the applicant identification (full name), postal and e-mail addresses.
Challenge mailbox: challenge2009[at]technicbricks.com
- The winning participation will be the first sent submission, that exactly matches the: form (parts assembled in the same way), part list and colors from the LEGO official model being reproduced.
- If none submission fills all the criteria above, it will be selected the first submitted that gets closer to the different criteria with this order of importance: form reproduction, part list, color reproduction.
- All the submissions must be sent to the mailbox above indicated, before the 15th of November 2009, 24:00 CET *.
- The organization reserves the right to extend the participation period, if there is a reasonable justification for that.
- Results are expected to be published on CW51 (before Christmas).
- The winning submission will be awarded with a set sponsored by the LEGO Technic team.
The prize will be the 1H2010 sensation (8049, Tractor with Log Loader) signed by Lars Jensen who is the LEGO designer author from this set.
- There might be something additional as a surprise for you, but I'll keep it for a later opportunity.
- At the event of any possible leak with further credible details about this model, during the participations submission period, any posterior submissions will not be considered for this contest purposes.
- Any eventual issues not foreseen in these contest rules, shall be evaluated and decided by majority of the TBs editors.
- The organization reserves the right to cancel the contest at anytime, if participation quality levels are not getting satisfactory.
Take part in the fun!
And do not forget... this unique prize can become yours.
*) Use the link to find the correspondent local time, for your Time Zone.