Finally the last weekend I got the time and the mood, to review in detail the models submitted to the First TBs TechChallenge, list all the differences from the original TLG model and to come up with the results.
So at first and for those participating who may also want to check their own submissions, here are the official instructions for the 8046 Helicopter, and the 2nd booklet building instructions (B-model), if you want to check the partlist in detail.
Because we ended not having a large number of submissions to this Challenge, there was a chance for a little change in the original plans and TBs got one 8046 box for each contestant, except for the winner who is getting the signed 8049 set.
Even Scott with his funny Copter interpretation, submitted to this Challenge, got one 8046 box!
I've received already received the prizes to send, a few weeks ago and should be sending these immediately so that hopefully you can receive them, still before Christmas. Meanwhile you may look at them in the photo below.
The results were evaluated comparing the LDraw models sent by each contestant, with each step in the official building instructions. After thinking about several possible methods and what would be possible to do with the LDraw tools suite, I decided for a manual comparation from the last step going backwards until the first one, while taking annotations of the differences found in each step.
The tricky part in this challenge and the one causing more mismatches counted in the submitted LDraw models, were related with the method used to build the winch (either the parts used and the method to generate the friction so the the string would not run freely).
The drum was quite difficult, because the part used was not even directly available from LDraw Parts Tracker, however it was available from the parts still needing for clean-up. Nevertheless someone managed also to model this correctly.
I've counted as mismatches in occurrences like: wrong parts, missing or extra parts; misplacements and color mismatches. However I didn't count for the 'Axle 3 with Stud' color mismatch, once at the time the Challenge was raised, no one was sure about the new color used for this part, by TLG.
You may find the detailed results at this files [XLS, PDF], but I guess there are no doubts about the winner, once the score differences (Mismatches Count) are quite substantial.
And so... the winning submission, is the one from Nathanael Kuipers.
Nathanael scored one single wrong part and his getting this Challenge 1st prize. One 8049 set (Tractor with Log Loader) from the first boxes getting out of the production line and signed by the Designer of this model (Lars Jensen).
Congratulations to everyone and thanks for participating this first TBs Challenge!
Also I'd like to thanks all those who made this Challenge possible :
- Philo, for modeling the missing parts at LDraw and some advice.
- Alexandre and Jetro for advice, fruitful discussions and last minute LDraw tutorials, targeting some of the specific skills needed for those aiming to take part in this Challenge.
- TLG Technic team, for the support and providing the nice prizes.
- And finally of course, all those who were engaged with this Challenge, either by sending their submissions or joining the initiative by leaving their comments to the respective posts.
Now, I just hope we can make something similar again, for the next year.