Some days ago I found in LEGO website a series of funny and interesting videos, that focus on the development process of new LEGO sets, at PMD (Product and Marketing Development).
These are not LEGO Technic specific, but related with the development of the LEGO Cars sets.
You can learn how the Designers go through the different stages of the development process and develop new LEGO models.
From the basements to the production areas, I'm sure some you will find the answers for some questions that have been popping in your mind....
- Video 1, is a short introduction.
- Video 2, shows the start of a new model and the elements basement where the LEGO Designers collect all the parts they need to develop a new model.
- Video 3, shows some footage on how they make prototype elements, i.e. the birth of a new LEGO element from a sketch on a piece of paper to the prototyping in a modern 3D printer and painting studio.
- Video 4, focus on the decoration of the new elements which need such decoration, to make the models to look a lot more realistic.
- Video 5, explores the production area where some elements get printed (good memories from a place that I had the privilege to visit earlier).
- Video 6, the last one tell us how the building instructions are produced and tested.
It can't be that much different on the LEGO Technic area...