And yes! It is like the rumors we have heard since the London Toyfair last January, which later I got to know in more detail.
In a few sentences, lets see what is it all about:
- You're challenged to create your own LEGO Technic model based on the 9398 4x4 Crawler flagship released this year.
Just what you need is to keep the chassis and built anything on top of it. Of course it doesn't need to look like a 4x4 Crawler.
- The LEGO Technic team is eager to see which models the fans will come up with and which functions you can add to this model.
- You don't have to buy the original Crawler, to make and submit your design to the Challenge.
You can even submit just a drawing or a sketch about your idea. Don't need to build it in real bricks. Then if this becomes the wining idea, it's the job of the LEGO designers to "brickform" your idea.
- The winning design is finalized with a LEGO Technic Designer.
- The new set will become available in the summer of 2013 as a 20.000 units Limited Edition along with the new 2013 flagship release and it will be available through D2C (Direct 2 Consumer) channels.
- You can use any parts to go on top of the chassis, and LEGO Technic Team is even open to customize some parts for this small production run (e.g. the wheels or something else they still don't know - it's up to you!).
The intent is not really to make big profit from this special model, but to engage with the LEGO Technic fans community. Hence the small production will allow to create such fancy elements (if it turns to be the case).
- It is not yet clear for me whether you can submit only one, or several models.
- On the 1st of October the Campaign will start and you can upload your design at technic.LEGO.com untill 31.Dec (11:59 PM). The sooner you'll do it, the better chances to get an higher number of votes or supporters to your design. This is important as you will see below.
- Then after returning from holidays, the Technic team will pick top 100 fan voted models and select the best 10, that will follow to the "Go-vote" campaign with the fans.
- On 2013 CW2-3, the "Go-vote" campaign will start and the winner announcement should happen on the 22nd of February.
- If will be followed by the design of the final model according to LEGO Technic design frame rules and the pre-order campaign should start on 1st July 2013.
- On 1st of August 2013 the sales will start through D2C
As criteria for the designers to select the 10 best models, you may think of:
- Overall coolness
- Design details
- Belief that other people will want to buy your design
- Great color schema
- It is build-able with LEGO Technic elements
- Well though functions
- Model/age relationship
- Copy of any 3rd party properties or trademark will be eliminated as a potential winner
Below you can see a record that someone... did from Niels' presentation at Skaebaek yesterday and listen to his own words.
If you want to jump directly into the deatils, just start here.
And here are the main keywords for you to read shortly.
- Something Special!... How could we make a Technic model special?
- ... a product to life we cannot do in a standard retail product.
- How can we make it special is something we will find out during the competition.
Set free your imagination, and take your chance!
More to come, these days...